Saturday, January 16, 2010

Classic Photo: Rick Farris vs Gabe Gutierrez



Rick Farris (Flores Gym) vs. Gabe Gutierrez (Teamsters Gym)
1970 Diamond Belt Championship - 118 lbs.
Olympic Auditorium


Randy: Classic Photo! This is what "Classic American West Coast Boxing" is all about. Rick, I know you landed that right hand. Looks like a beautiful shot!

I see you fought Gutierrez three times as a pro. The first was a loss, not content with that you fought to a draw in the second and in the third fight you got the win. That's determination. I admire that. That's a fighter.

Rick: Thank you, Randy. I actually fought Gabe Gutierrez six times in an 18-month period.
I fought him three times as a 17-year-old amateur (the photo is from our last bout, he was 23-years-old).
He won the first amateur bout at the Olympic, we drew the second time, and I won the last (the bout pictured) for a Diamond Belt title.
We both turn pro a few months later, and again, he wins the first, the second a draw, and I end our series with a win.

The last time we fought I had just turned 19, and had nine pro fights. My body was maturing and I was gaining strength that I had lacked earlier.
I was now too strong for Gutierrez, and I beat him up pretty bad. I wanted to make sure he'd never want to fight me again.
I was tired of seeing him in front of me, I wanted to put and end to it. I also wanted to whip Louie Jauregui's fighter.

1 comment:

Paul Le Mat said...

Hello. I trained at the Main Street Gym in the early seventies. Maybe we met, Rick. Sammy Sanders and Larry Parker were my trainers, and Duke Holloway helped a lot. I fought in that 1970 Diamond Belt Tourney, losing to Fernando Gil, welterwight division, novice, on 2-9. It was my first fight, and I continued, but never turned pro (hurt my hands badly against Carlos Lopez in 1972). It was great in those days at the gym. I knew Howie, of course, and others.

Memorial Day 2024

To those that gave the ultimate sacrifice defending American ideals and freedom, and to the families that endured the loss, we g...