Sunday, July 27, 2008

Referee Kenny Bayless


For a moment there in last nights fight between Antonio Magarito and Miguel Cotto, I had a moment of dejavu. Cotto dropped to his knees just as Margarito was closing in on him, Margarito let the punches go and the last one hit him while he was down. It's hard to stop the punches once you let them go, and it's easy to lose perspective of where your opponent is, which is why we have a referee. Lucky for us, Kenny Bayless never gave it any consideration. This is how the fight between Humberto Soto and Francisco Lorenzo should have ended, without controversy. I hope Joe Cortez was taking notes. Two completely different fights I know, but when I heard one of the announcers say out loud "Margarito hit him while he was down" I knew what they were referring to. Like them I thought "Oh no, not again". Kudos to referee Kenny Bayless for doing a good job last night.

4 comments:

ScottG said...

He did do a good job, a few too may low blows but a very good job.

Randy De La O said...

Yeah, there were a few low blows but I don't think they were intentional but it does happen. A few, not all, of them happened when Cotto was pulling Margarito down as he was coming in. I don't think it had any effect on the outcome.

ScottG said...

Your right, I don't think it had any effect on the outcome. I just noticed he gave about three or four "keep em ups" and missed probably 3 or 4 more being out of position. =)

Happy said...

Oooh, great catch there! That Soto-Lorenzo fight was bloody. What happened to the referee of that fight? What happens to the careers of referees who do that?

Memorial Day 2024

To those that gave the ultimate sacrifice defending American ideals and freedom, and to the families that endured the loss, we g...