Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Old School Boxing Photograph

Boxers

I don't think I have ever seen a photo that captures the essence of boxing quite the same way this old photograph does. I don't know who the fighters are or what year this fight took place. I'm guessing sometime in the 1920's or possibly the early 1930's. This looks to be a small club, possibly an athletic club, the type that were popular in the early days of boxing.

You get the feeling that both fighters have been to hell and back in this fight. The fighter on the left waiting with brutal anticipation for his opponent to get up off the ring floor. The fighter on the floor looks like he hasn't quite made up his mind yet. If ever a photograph captured the words "The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat" this is it. I love this photo.

This photo was given to me by my brother Dennis for Christmas of 2013, along with some heartfelt words. He bought it years ago at an antique store and had it hanging in his home but wanted me to have it. It was truly appreciated.

If anyone recognizes these fighters, let me know!

No comments:

Carl Weathers 1948 2024

Very sad news. Carl Weathers has passed away. I do not yet know the circumstances.  He was, literally,  the other ha...