Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ken Norton Has Passed Away


By Randy De La O

Former Heavyweight Champ Ken Norton has passed away. Norton fought during what was possibly the greatest heavyweight era in the history of boxing. He won the first of three fights with Muhammad Ali. He will be remembered as one of boxing's good guys.

On a personal note, I met Ken Norton in 1976,when I fought Eduardo Barba at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas. He was one of the announcers/analysts for the fight. At 6"3' and with a Herculean build, he was an imposing figure. At one point during the fight I was up against the ropes, near Norton, when I heard him say, "I think De La O is tired". He was right, I was.

My family and I want to express our condolences to the Norton family.

R.I.P. Champ!

No comments:

Carl Weathers 1948 2024

Very sad news. Carl Weathers has passed away. I do not yet know the circumstances.  He was, literally,  the other ha...